Sign in to follow this  
stockblues15

Silvia + wet weather + cheap tyres = fun times

Wet weather in Sydney today is making for interesting driving. I usually don't daily the Silvia to work in wet weather, but I have a track day coming up and I am driving it more to get comfortable. So I generally drive like a granny in the wet because power, LSD and cheap tyres. So am I following a newish model Corolla around a roundabout about 25-30km in a 50km zone. The Corolla goes through neatly, I on the other hand have the rear end lose grip and take the roundabout full drift style (without hitting anything and making a clean exit, for which I am pretty happy).

I originally got the cheap tyres knowing they were pretty bad in the wet, but well behaved in the dry. Thinking I don't drive in the wet so it sounded like a good compromise. However these tyres are really bad in the wet and didn't get much better after the mold release coating wore off. Although it can be fun breaking traction in 1st, 2nd and 3rd when the boost comes on with a stock engine :rolleyes:

I am happy with dry performance though, not massive amounts of grip but they lose grip progressively. I also want to do some drift or motorkhana days, and didn't want to turn expensive tyres into rubber particles. For track days I get to experience driving at the limit of the tyres grip, without that limit being too fast for what I am capable of at the moment.

dafaq did i just read.

your silvia is an accident waiting to happen !!!!!!

go buy some half decent rubber, and dont cause accidents.

u want to drift and waste rubbers, but a second set of rims with rubber to which suits your motorsporting needs.

want to track it? go buy some Federal RS-RR

or for street / track

Bridgestone RE-003 - will last longer

both offer

oodles of grip.

oodles of good wet grip.

my almost bald RSR handle better still than what your describing, they go fine thru roundabouts at 60 in the wet.

RE003 on my xr5t are great in the wet. f**k all slippage. ever.

Lol, these kids

Edited by adm15

It's all fun and games until a kid runs out into the road. Or a big fkn truck. Get some decent tyres. You can drift in the wet on RE002s with stock power and it's a hell of a lot less sketchy.

It's all fun and games until a kid runs out into the road. Or a big fkn truck. Get some decent tyres. You can drift in the wet on RE002s with stock power and it's a hell of a lot less sketchy.

you can slide any tire in the wet with a big enough clutch kick or speed.

but yes, agree. its all fun and games untill you Can Not Stop - then your f**ked.

Wow that is a ton of responses. And who said the forums are dead.😀

Like I said, I don't daily it and rarely drive it in the wet. Surprisingly braking is better in the wet than sideways grip. Probably due to weight transfer.

Yes I do need to get some rough rims to put these tyres on for drifting days.

14 year old tyres are fun in the wet too. i really need some new treads :S

^may look a little like this:) Oops, power pole. Somehow, driver walked away.

bd01952f8cc7577fec743046fcab5c84.jpg

Edited by adm15

donyou also have stiff coilovers without adjustable arms so the alignment is completely off?

Do the the other drivers and real enthusiasts a favor and just track it till you get some common sense

we all have our silly days in the wet.. but best not to advertise that on a public forum... last thing you want is 7 News or ACA doing another story