Sign in to follow this  
Johns180

Clutch occasionally slips, stalls with handbrake, may not be the clutch?

I've noticed my car sometimes when in 4th gear once boost comes on the revs will increase as usual but the speed won't.

This has happened in 3rd aswell and I haven't tried it in 5th. It doesn't happen in 1st or 2nd gear.

The first time i saw it happen i was in 3rd and it let go after 5.5krpm so I shifted to 4th and it let go after 4.5krpm.

It more consistently happens in 4th gear.

It feels as though the clutch is slipping occasionally because it doesn't happen every time. The reason why I've posted here instead of ordering a new clutch is that when i test the condition of the clutch by letting the clutch out when parked with the handbrake on the car stalls immediately. I've tried this in 1st, 4th and 5th gears.

Is there something that could feel like clutch slip but really isn't?

My car is an SR 180SX with around 210rwkw and an exedy heavy duty clutch. I put the clutch in myself which would have about 15000 kms on it by now. I don't drift or drag race or push the gearbox hard.

Edited by Johns180

Sounds like clutch slip/dying to me. Your handbrake test isn't ideal since there isn't enough torque to force the clutch to slip, unlike loading it up in higher gears

Yeah dude sounds like your clutch is going, experiencing a slipping clutch for the first time is a strange experience lol

Yep like everyone else has said, Clutch is slipping and you will need to replace the clutch and machine the flywheel.

You can extend the life of the clutch by not boosting the car hard, and i guarantee you will get alot more life out of it by just babying it around.... But who has an S13 and just baby's it?

These cars are meant to be boostin'!

Alright then new clutch it is.

I'm thinking of going with the NPC 10" clutch and flywheel, good for 300rwkw and being an organic disc it shouldn't put too much shock on the gearbox so hopefully the box outlasts the clutch. Really can't afford a gearbox conversion at this point to keep the power to the ground.

15000 to burn out a clutch.. . Should have installed the 10' to being with.

The exedy pink hd clutches are rubbish and at there limits at around 200kw if driven hard

You can get the 10inch upgrade clutch and flywheel also at st marys western clutch if your in NSW

Give them a call and they will sort you out with your clutch needs for the purpose you use the car for and how you drive

I just ordered ORC 409sd - silenced and dampened. It's also rated 400hp. Should be good option and cheaper than NPC etc.

I took the clutch out and it looks pretty good imo, at least there's a lot more meat on this clutch compared to the clutch i took out when i first bought the car... it was almost at the rivets.

I don't really drive the car hard at all which is why i was surprised, it only slips in 4th gear and only on boost or if i shift too quickly on boost. Can the clutch just not handle the power or what? It really looks like it's got a fair bit of material on there.

Either way i've got an NPC clutch and flywheel waiting to go in but i wanted to make sure this was the problem and I don't have some hidden issue elsewhere i need to take care of.

post-153535-0-46471300-1458796848_thumb.jpg

post-153535-0-98337900-1458796854_thumb.jpg

post-153535-0-05720600-1458796861_thumb.jpg

I don't really drive the car hard at all which is why i was surprised, it only slips in 4th gear and only on boost or if i shift too quickly on boost. Can the clutch just not handle the power or what? It really looks like it's got a fair bit of material on there.

That's actually the most likely scenario for slippage; tall gear with a lot of resistance, combined with peak engine torque. When you're in a higher gear, you're really pitting your clutch's clamping force against the resistance of the box/rotating-mass/traction behind it. At 200kw an Exedy HD Organic Pink would really struggle.