Sign in to follow this  
Blackjack!

Having a few small issues with my s15

Hey All,

Looking for a bit of help with my s15 as I'm having a few issues. I just moved to Melbourne (south east) so I don't know any good mechanics yet (suggestions welcome please)

Car is a JDM spec R with blitz atmospheric BOV and a cat back high flow exhaust, not much else done to it from stock. was 60ks when I got it now 93ks, its in very good condition.

Couple of issues;

1. When I'm slowing down. Eg. when I'm pulling up for a light, sometimes the revs drop so low that it almost stalls, in fact it has stalled a couple times.

2. Fuel gauge is playing up, It can go anywhere from half full to empty when im simply driving normally. Eg. today I left work, turned engine on the light was on but slowly rises to what I think is the actual level. Then when driving it will move down to show empty and what seems like randomly it will go back up.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

First thing I would do is get rid of the atmo BOV, apart from the legalities its a "leak" of air after the AFM so the AFRs the ecu calculates will be wrong. Apart from that Id check your alternator is charging, battery is happy, theres no vaccum leaks (basically check all the hoses) and the IACV is set up right.

The fuel level is a bit of a pain, it could be the fuel sender needs a clean. Read this as a rough guide (not silvia specific but gives you the gist of it) http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/363010-fuel-level-sender-cleaning-r33-gtst/

^^^ Good advice here.

Guarantee your atmo BOV is causing your near stall on decel. Tighten the preload or get rid of it.

Agreed that the fuel sender is probably the cause of the dodgy gauge readings.

yeah Ive had the atmo BOV since I imported it and have been meaning to get it set back to plumb back because its also making some popping sounds out of the exhaust occasionally and I think that is wearing out the plugs as well as whatever else.

thanks guys

its also making some popping sounds out of the exhaust occasionally and I

Sounds like its running rich there, AFM calculated an amount of fuel for the air it saw, BOV vents some of that air, unburnt fuel makes it into the exhaust and ignites....pop pop pop.