Sign in to follow this  
Synorix

S15 Gearbox/Diff Oil

Hello there, I know there are alot of topics regarding the same question, But i need some clarification. I am doing a major service on my completely stock S15 Spec R i am thinking of putting Motul Gear 300 75w-90 in the gearbox and helical diff. The oil is API GL-4/GL-5 does that mean i can use it in the diff or does it have to be GL-5 only oil and would full synthetic be okay or would it need mineral and is the grading 75w-90 okay since the manual is saying to use 80w-90. Sorry for all the questions just need a bit of help thanks :)

You can use motul gear 300 in both gearbox and diff , I use it in both and am very happy with it. The gearbox feels alot smoother and is a bit quieter, the only thing is that it is fairly expensive oil.

• Upvote 1

Oh okay awesome, im not too fussed about the price aslong as it performs smoothly. Thanks heaps!

Sorry to be a pain, but i have another question regarding the oil grades. I know the gearbox needs API GL-4 75w-90 and the diff needs API GL-5 but with Motul gear 300 it API GL-4/GL-5(both) Would that damage the diff or gearbox in some way it being both? and for the diff do i run the same viscosity 75w-90? Synthetic or Mineral? Thanks in advance

Have you looked at other brands?

Google performancelub, you can source well priced branded oils through him.

Redline also make good oils, although do your research on which grade to use. Superlight will work well for the box if i remember correctly. Mt90 otherwise.

50 bucks for 2 x 0.948mm (us quart) bottles, will do your s15 6 speed box.

Thanks R0berto for your response, but not that interested in the redline stuff, Just need to know about the API GL-4/GL-5 gradings and wither to use Synthetic or Mineral?

Yes that will be fine, but if your car is dead stock then you really dont need a high end and expensive oil that will most likely not even really suit your style of driving.

So many other brands available for half the price that are proven to be good.