Sign in to follow this  
Varvs

Just add a God Damn Captcha to the sign up form

Well I didnt feel like logging out to check, but seriously, spam accounts are the worst.

Come on guys what is this, 2004?

Ironically, the reason the Captcha doesn't work is because it isn't 2004. Spambots are somewhat more sophisticated in their account creation process.

Having had this raised by members before, and keep in mind I'm not involved in this aspect of the site at all, the reason for all the spam bots is because manual account approval (i.e. one of the human Admins had to approve new membership requests for the account to be created) has been disabled. This was done to make for immediate account creation and encourage new members to sign up and post whatever, rather than having them lose interest after creating an account and not being able to immediately log in. Sadly, this means that the spambots that bypass the Captcha can also immediately post whatever.

• Upvote 1

Well I didnt feel like logging out to check, but seriously, spam accounts are the worst.

I feel the same, but there's no good solution really. If the site were thriving like it was back in the day, you could go back to the old approval system, but these days if new people can't post immediately they just go to Facebook and never come back.

• Upvote 1

Yep . That's the long and the short of it.

i haven't noticed that many... compared to previous tidal waves.

If it is excessive we can put a 2-post mod-preview back on, but that means a lot of work for mods to approve everything.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this