Sign in to follow this  
neskwik

bov or non, and what is best performance wise

Hey guys I have been reseaching for the last day and abit and cant seem to find a straight answer. What would be the best performance bov for S15. I have even read a few topics where people are saying ditch it altogether. What are everyones thoughts and opinions on,firstly which would be the best one and then doest it really hurt to not run one. Sorry if this has been covered already but I couldnt find much.

My theory with arguments like this is that if there's no conclusive evidence one way or the other, it probably doesn't really matter. I ran no BOV with 250rwkw+ for years no problem. One less thing to potentially leak or fail IMO.

I had a BOV and I couldn't keep up with all the girls wanting to have sex with me, there were just too many even for a mass orgy so I removed it.

• Upvote 2

I've never run a bov and have never had a problem, flutter is what gets the bitches!

Bovs are annoying and for queers.

But it's personal preference if you choose to run one or not, there's not really a "best" one, there's just shitty cheap ebay versions that you should avoid and there's the good quality brand names, If I really wanted to be a wanker and had to choose one I'd go with the Turbosmart Supersonic, I've also heard good things about the GFB Respons.

It doesn't make a difference they don't add or take power simply there to stop compressor stall. The flutters that are heard from a car not running a bov is the air rushing back to the compressor from the turbo as it stalls.

Yea I agree if its not need then why have it. But if I was to run one it would be a plum back rather than a atmo

There is no power to be gained from not having one, and there is a shit load of bad things that come from not having one (cop attention, slower response, throws out your tuning)

where as running a good plumbed-in BOV will keep things quiet (or get a little noisy on high boost) and also keep you legal.

I took my car to get tuned and they wouldnt touch it unless it was plumbed in. thankfully I already had done that because I decided letting everyone know I had a turbo on my car wasnt a priority.

Just leave the stock one alone, everyone complains they leak ra ra ra.. they don't.. they're designed to open at idle and vacuum to improve transient throttle. When positive plenum pressure is registered, it's also directed at the BOV pushing the piston down.. because there's a spring also to assist the closing it will remain shut as the force working against the piston holding it down is less than what is applied to keep it down (i.e. same pressure + spring pressure).

For it to leak, that would require more force/pressure pushing the piston up and less force closing it.. i.e. faulty spring.

Anyhow before the shattered turbo brigade comes to the thread - my car has been running no BOV since day 1 of the new turbo.. happily makes 340kW and gets fed 1.65bar of boost. Been to countless trackdays and turbo still feels as tight as a nun's box

Haha yea theres heaps of debates about not running one. I would have left the stock one on but guy I bought it off had already changed it. Does anyone know if the turbosmart kompact dual port goes alright?

Haha yea theres heaps of debates about not running one. I would have left the stock one on but guy I bought it off had already changed it. Does anyone know if the turbosmart kompact dual port goes alright?

I bought a kompact dual port today, looks pretty solid and I've read they work well. My car didn't have a bov when I bought it (using a MAP sensor), running 16psi on a t28bb without issue but with a turbo upgrade up next I figured I may aswell get one and see how it holds up. The kompact series is pretty cheap aswell.

Yea they look ok. I got one priced for 239 from justjap

can buy direct from turbosmart on ebay.

I've got one mate, they're a good piece of gear. I'm looking at purchasing a screw in blocking plate so I can transform the sneeze into a pigeon :) I'm not a fan of the sneeze sound it makes.. Not my thing.

Edited by M1TCHY

Bov = gay

Flutter = awesome

Flutter + blast pipes = girls orgasm on drive by

just use the stock BOV if you can.. all this whoosh values and dual port bullshit will just end in tears - especially because you're running the stock ECU and the stock AFM

just use the stock BOV if you can.. all this whoosh values and dual port bullshit will just end in tears - especially because you're running the stock ECU and the stock AFM

hey man na im running power fc and a z32 afm

more reason to run the stock BOV

more reason to run the stock BOV

really?

ok...... not entirely necessary if you set the fuel cut off & recovery a little higher.. however your car will run the best with a stock BOV.

The Z32 AFM is more sensitive than the stock Silvia one and doesn't play too nice when there's reversion from the fully sick dose.

No BOV.

Because it's not 1998 anymore.

run bov if the ECU needs it (AFM before turbo)

Tials are ment to be "good" the new Q50's ????????? some turbo smarts have caused problems in the past?

if flutterz is your thing, and its not gonna annoy you, then block the f**ker.

if ear piercing trumpets to yank ya chain go find some bov with massive trumpets.

or if you want a noticable yet quiter option buy an after market return bov. the QR50 is one.

plumb the f**ker back in. buy new vacuum hose, and other shit that could be old and fragile and then it wont leak.

FYI Stock BOV DOES leak with after market huffers and 20+ psi :(

with just stock turbo/cams just leave the stock bov alone, except put a grub screw in the bypass hole, make it flush and seal it up again ;)

Yea gonna go recirculating thanks for all the info

we saved another one!

Think of all the BOV antics you'll be missing out on...

My turbosmart Universal Plumback actually makes a pretty loud noise at full boost. definitely not as bad as the SSQV that used to be there. I guess I could wind up the adjustment on it to make it flutter a bit if I wanted to but car runs too nice with a functioning BOV to go chasing silly noises in earnest.

Not gonna lie, that last one was funny haha.

That last one is a great example of how much air that's not getting fed back into the motor when venting to atmo.

That last one is a great example of how much air that's not getting fed back into the motor when venting to atmo.

Also shows that most atmo bovs leak under vacuum!

Edited by Coastie