Sign in to follow this  
chris convertible

Formal run car

Hi,

As some of you would know if you have been reading any of my posts that I am putting a new engine in my S13 Convertible. Initially I was hoping to have it ready for Marques in the Park but it was pretty obviously not going to make it - mainly due to fabrication I needed doing due to different engine block without an oil cooler and slightly bigger different turbo 2560 that was close but not really a straight bolt on in my opinion.

Anyway I was hoping to have it finished this week as my son has two school formals next week. The first is for the girls school and is on Tuesday the 25th, the second is for his school on the 27th.

If anyone is interested in doing a formal run for him that would be great.

Happy to pay some money, or if you like take you for a ride in my car once it is finished in a few weeks.

Thanks

Chris

Wow Chris, your car is sounding pretty good after all the work that you've put into it :)

Just out of curiosity, where are the formals being held just so I can go have a sticky beak :P

Yes the car has had a stack of work and money this year. Hopefully it goes very nicely when I get the engine back in. I really miss driving a convertible.

Both formals are at old Parliament house, the girls one was last night and the boys is tomorrow night. The drop off will be between 6:00pm and 7:00pm. Sorry for the late reply but just seemed to get busy.

By the way I haven't heard any news of the Malas S13.9 convertible for ages. Any idea what is happening to it?

That's ok I ended up being away both those days anyway but there will always be more :)

Haha S13.5 is probably far from it. Last I heard it had been painted but that's about it. I haven't seen or heard from him in a while.

It was interesting to see the cars. I actually preferred the cheaper novelty cars, like the really crappy Toyota Camry with stickers on it and the van with a smoke machine in the back. But I think I found it more interesting because I knew a lot of the kids so to see what cars they chose was interesting.

It did sound like an ambitious project, pity as it would have been interesting to see.

Hopefully mine is not far off but it is fighting to stay in the garage and off the road. I had a small crack in the bell housing so couldn't tighten the 40mm bolt that holds the bottom of the rear plenum bracket on. Got that welded up by Neal Bates Automotive this morning who did a great job. Thought well now all I need to do is bolt the gearbox, a few brackets, the starter motor etc. on and I might even drop the gearbox/engine in today. Torquing up the last bolt at the bottom the thread disintegrated. So I have ordered a helicoil kit for that size, but next weekend I am really busy and then away from nearly three weeks over Christmas so it looks like mine will still be off the road until sometime next year.

In the meantime due to lack of car I bought my wife a Skoda Rapid for $19,000 a demo model but it only had 388km's on it after my test drive and it still had 10 months rego on it plus 2 year 10 months of warranty, and lennock gave me 2.8% interest and an extra 3 years of Lennock warranty. It is really nice to drive and when working on my car over the last few weekends I have been thinking - I have spent $23,000 on this thing this year and I just bought a basically brand new car for less. What am I doing?