Sign in to follow this  
180ST

Sloppy diff question

Hey, I have a question about my diff, it does spin two when dropping skiddie jox, but can often feel like its just feathering one tyre when on the edge of traction and pulling into my driveway I got stuck with one tyre lifted and scraping the road and no forward progress. Can this be a R200 LSD that badly needs a shimming or does it sound like I may have an open wheeler?

Once again I'll say that when right up it, it seems to behave as a lim slip (a fairly sloppy one), but at less load tends towards feeling more open. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Any thoughts?

Pull the diff out and find out?

• Upvote 1

My face is gonna look pretty blank if I pull my diff out all keen to shim it up and find a f**ked out open wheeler staring me down!!

(I'm 99% sure this won't happen though)

If shimming it up works so good, why do heaps of peeps get kaaz, cusco, etc centres? They got too much cash?

err shimming is a cheap hack you can do yourself that turns a vlsd to more of a locker(all time) whereas the other is purchasing a proper engineered centre that if you go 1.5 means you get lock on acceleration vs coast/brake

Any thoughts?

Pull the diff out and find out?

If you've not done before these should give you an idea of what they look like.

Clutch Clutch LSD 1.jpg

Helical Helical LSD 3.jpg

Open Open LSD 1.jpg

Open that's been Welded Open LSD weld step 2.jpg

VLSD viscous LSD 1.jpg,

no, because they are completely different. thats like saying chop springs and running slammed coilovers is the same shit. its not

you either have an open diff or a VLSD..both are shit, but to find out what you have, jack up the rear end and spin one wheel. the other wheel will either not move or want to rotate opposite, or get someone to hold the non spinning wheel and see what happens (shouldn't move), that will indicate you have an open diff

with VLSD, it should spin both wheels in the same direction when spinning one wheel. it is common for it to slip while driving and getting power through the diff and act like an open diff because its old and loose now,

shimming the VLSD is a cheap alternative to a real mechanical LSD. If you've never driven or drifted a car with a proper LSD, i dont expect you to know the difference.

Same goes for lock welded diffs, they are the lowest and crappiest of all diff, but for bang for buck to get both wheels spinning, they do 1/4 of the job of what a LSD can do.