Sign in to follow this  
DRD4NG3R

Battery dying.

so my mates car is killing the battery so we got a new one on warrenty and this is what i have done so far.

i have disconnected the negative and run the multi meter from the cable to the negative terminal on the battery. All doors closed everything off. Multi meter set to 10amp. Getting 0.05 - 0.04 amps.

Then i started pulling out fuse's and relays to see what the draw was.

the only time it changed was when i pulled out the alternator fuse75amp it went to 0.03 to 0.02 and the igniton fuse 25amp in the engine bay.

when both the fuses are out it sits on 0.00

all the fuses under the drivers side all read 0.05 to 0.04.

only thing i can think of is that the alarm is wired oddly and drawing power and now the alternator diode has f**ked up and that was the final straw to the battery not charging anymore.

any other thoughts ??

Edited by steveP
Can't spell dying.

Wait I'm confused?

Is it killing the new battery as well?

You didn't say it was so are you sure it wasn't just a dodge battery and is fine now you got a new one :/

50mA is very low and shouldn't kill a battery very quickly. How long did you leave the meters on for?

0.05A is fine. That won't drain a battery very quickly

I'd say one of three things, crook battery, bad alarm, bad alternator diode.

If your in sa I can test the diodes for you

Have you had the problem since new battery

Well its gone through 2 Batterys, I have left the new one disconnected till i can find the fault as i dont think he will give me another battery under warrenty

The meter was left for over 15-30 seconds waiting fo the car to go to sleep mode.

its not doing it quickly, we charged the last battery drove the car once, like a week later it was dead and not even reading / charging.

My Mrs S14 does the same thing . as the car doesn't get driven on weekends I put it on trickle charge every weekend.

It goes through 2 battery's a year and I have taken it to 5 auto electricians no one has been able to work out why yet.

Well its gone through 2 Batterys, I have left the new one disconnected till i can find the fault as i dont think he will give me another battery under warrenty

The meter was left for over 15-30 seconds waiting fo the car to go to sleep mode.

its not doing it quickly, we charged the last battery drove the car once, like a week later it was dead and not even reading / charging.

I would be leaving the meters on there for longer to check that something doesn't spike after a longer connection. 50mA won't drain a battery in a week unless it is a tiny thing.

Also what brand of battery?

Edited by Protius

century 390cca,

We tried to get a diff battery but because the cooler pipes run through the battery tray we had to stay with the same batt as none of them fit.

Edited by DRD4NG3R

I have found century to be going downhill in the last few years. At the last shop I worked at seen probably 3 times as many century failures compared to the brand of batteries we were selling. I have seen them drop a cell after a week of purchase which resulted in the same symptoms as you described. Maybe your mate is just really unlucky and got 2 shit ones. See how this one goes. If the battery is only 30AH which is somewhere around what the battery would be, with 0.05A draw, it will last for 25 days before it's dead flat. I would look around a bit more for another battery, there are quite a few brands and sizes around that will fit where you need.

No one expects a battery to sit in there connected forever and still have enough stored energy to crank the car over.

Eg recommend disconnect when leaving on holiday etc.

One option would be to work out your timelines and keep to it. Obviously dependent on the battery capability

I have a small Fullriver HC20 and every 2-3weeks of non use I put a ctek trickle charger on it

what does it mean when your rear tail lights are always on? i got a new battery and rear lights are always on..

Brake or tail?

Brake light switches are common faults

Disconnect the switch perhaps

I would be leaving the meters on there for longer to check that something doesn't spike after a longer connection. 50mA won't drain a battery in a week unless it is a tiny thing.

Also what brand of battery?

This. 15 seconds isn't enough. When I do current draw tests I leave it for at least half hour or more.

You won't ever get to 0.00 Amps

Anything above 0.050 would be considered excessive current draw and a continuous drain would be present if it hasn't dropped close to 0.00 after 30+ mins