Sign in to follow this  
tyrekicker

suspension bits installation

control arm, swaybar, castor/radius rods. should these parts be installed with load on the wheels (ie. the car on the ground) or in the air? obviously you won't be able to fit underneath the car if it is on the ground but i mean on one of those wheel alignment ramp hoists where the entire car is raised via the wheels as opposed to the arm hoists where it is raised under the chassis and so there is no load on the wheels/suspension.

for those who don't understand the question, basically i was told to tighten control arm, swaybar and castor rod bolts on the ramp hoist as it puts a preload on the bushes and won't twist them since the wheels are already touching the ground. this made sense at the time but today as i was installing castor rods, i thought that if i did them on the other hoist with arms that go under the chassis and don't put any load on the suspension, it would be better for handling as the suspension drops when the car is in the air and so when you tighten the bolts in this position, the suspension will always try to push the wheels down towards the ground once the car actually is on the ground which would give a similar effect to an independent swaybar for each wheel. this opposes the other method which is better for the bushes but shitter for driving as the bolts are tightened when the wheels are already on the ground so there is less down force on the wheels when cornering, going over potholes, etc.

does anyone know which method is best and does it make much of a difference at all?

cheers.

Castor isn't really effected by vertical suspension travel.....(depending on geometry) I don't think it will make a difference....

what you originally said was correct, you can fit the suspension parts on a 2post hoist (arms) and not tighten them fully, then lower it or put it on a 4 post hoist (ramp) and tighten accordingly, but the only reason that is done is to centre the suspension bushes so there is no uneccesary twisting load on them and they're centred

what you said secondly, doing them up to act as swaybars will do absolutley nothing except shorten the life of the bushes, as they are already twisted into position