Painting interior panels 

13 replies to this topic

#1 MI55EE

• Car:S15

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Hey guys,
I have searched, and cannot find if anyone has painted there trim that is under the dash, that runs down the stereo, past the gear boot & is the cupholders in an S15, the one that has silvia raised on it in silver. mine is really really scratched nearly everywhere, and just worn, looks terrible. Has anyone painted theirs ? I'd buy another one, but i'd like to have a crack at trying to make it look good first. Or is there anyone who is Pro at interior painting and give me tips? i find it daunting, i don't want it to look like a tacky home job. If anyone has pictures of any home jobs on interior they have done, post them, i wanna have a look :) should i do the same colour? or maybe experiement with a matt black ? i have a silver metallic paint ink pen to re-write over the silvia part, so i am half way there :)

#2 Dave Dirt

• Car:S13 & S15

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

i used 3M vinyl paint on my roof lining and the plastics. some pics here after the first coat on the lining, http://hardtuned.net...howtopic=518443

the plastics turnout out pretty good also.

#3 MI55EE

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

looks heaps good :) well done. how did you prep them ?

#4 Dave Dirt

• Car:S13 & S15

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

just wiped them clean really and sprayed :)

#5 Chich.

• Car:S15 + Sileighty

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

^^ wipe down with prepsol/wax & grease remover.
Dont even consider using a silver texta to colour in the silvia badge...

#6 omg_its_trent

• Car:R33 4door

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

View PostChich., on 20 April 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

What if it's a poska texta?? E points right derrr

#7 Chich.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

View Postomg_its_trent, on 20 April 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

View PostChich., on 20 April 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

What if it's a poska texta?? E points right derrr

I dont even know wtf a poska texta is...
Must be a melbourne thing..

Edited by Chich., 22 April 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#8 MI55EE

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

Can you suggest anything else? I've already used the metallic ink paint pen thing on it before, because the silvia part on that interior panel was severely scratched also, so I used it to touch it up. Looks not half bad... but if there is anything better I'm all ears

#9 Chich.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

If its already scratched up and ruined, then you may as well do what you wish with it. or just try your hand at masking up and paint it a different colour. will be fiddly as though.

#10 omg_its_trent

• Car:R33 4door

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Poska is the graffiti texta of choice! It's like paint in text form haha it's not a Melbourne thing... It's a cool ppl type of thing so no wonder your in the dark :(

#11 MI55EE

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

I want to spray that trim Matt black maybe...

Mask up the silvia but for fluro pink to match my front bar stitches :D

#12 Chich.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

Up to you what you do with it really, but be aware that it can and will come out looking tacky if you dont spend the time getting it right.

#13 pmod

• Car:180sx, 4G Prelude

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostMIS5Y, on 20 April 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

Hey guys,
I have searched, and cannot find if anyone has painted there trim that is under the dash, that runs down the stereo, past the gear boot & is the cupholders in an S15, the one that has silvia raised on it in silver. mine is really really scratched nearly everywhere, and just worn, looks terrible. Has anyone painted theirs ? I'd buy another one, but i'd like to have a crack at trying to make it look good first. Or is there anyone who is Pro at interior painting and give me tips? i find it daunting, i don't want it to look like a tacky home job. If anyone has pictures of any home jobs on interior they have done, post them, i wanna have a look :) should i do the same colour? or maybe experiement with a matt black ? i have a silver metallic paint ink pen to re-write over the silvia part, so i am half way there :)

Tsk, tsk. Didn't search hard enough. Plenty of people have painted them.
Cue bigass post.

Tech Article: http://www.nissansil...howtopic=507373
Thread: http://www.nissansil...howtopic=507220

Started with Satellite Brown, as you do to a scratched dash:

Attached File  Brown1.jpg   144.37K   10 downloads
Attached File  Brown2.jpg   175.77K   13 downloads
Attached File  Brown3.jpg   132.13K   10 downloads
Attached File  Brown4.jpg   169.83K   8 downloads

Got blue Recaro SR4s, so changed to Ice Blue Metallic for a matching contrast (camera fails to capture the colour properly):

Attached File  Blue1.jpg   138.01K   13 downloads
Attached File  Blue2.jpg   121.47K   11 downloads

Suspop suggested a logo shave, which seemed like a good idea:

Attached File  Shave1.jpg   102.86K   9 downloads
Attached File  Shave2.jpg   97.27K   8 downloads
Attached File  Shave3.jpg   125.16K   7 downloads

It looks better in person, but sadly my camera is designed to work after being frozen, not to capture things perfectly. :(
The brown paint was also a slightly better finish, since it was the first layer.

View PostMIS5Y, on 24 April 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

I want to spray that trim Matt black maybe...
Mask up the silvia but for fluro pink to match my front bar stitches :D

Matt black would be a mistake. Very easy to scuff, and the section you plan to spray is a high-wear area.
Gloss paint dusted on is a far more durable option, and not too reflective.

In relation to the logo, this is the approach I would take, although you may be happy just using a pen:
  • Sand logo face
  • Plastic prime logo area
  • Prime logo area and leave to cure
  • Spray with gloss pink and leave to cure
  • Spray with gloss model lacquer from a hobby shop; the type used for models and minatures. This is very hard-wearing.
  • Leave a week to fully cure
  • Cover with hight quality clear plastic tape. Cheap tape has cheap glue and is too much of a liability.
  • Buy a scapal or hobby knife from a hobby shop
  • Very carefully cut the shape of the face from the clear tape, taking care to avoid cutting into the plastic
  • Remove the excess tape keeping only the face covered
  • Lightly sand the overspray from the activities above, such that the overspray gently blends into the original paint
  • Paint the panel as directed in the article and spray can instructions
  • Carefully remove the clear tape once the final coat has become touch dry and feels relatively bonded. If you dusted paint on lightly, no paint should peel with the tape.

Edited by pmod, 24 April 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#14 MI55EE

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

thanks pmod :) i thought there was none! need to touch up my searching skills. thats heaps good people have done it, yeah i had a think about matt black and yeah what you said is right, i want a low gloss black, matt black would bring up stuff like when you scuff dirty shoes and stuff, it would be horrible. im excited to do it, i am still scared though, i do wanna keep the logo also, just not sure what to do with it yet, i kinda wanna have my mind set exactly on what i want before i paint it, incase i regret it, and have to fork out 280 for a new one. i will be printing this for further reference when i finally do the job!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!