Do you know my diff? I don't... 

5 replies to this topic

#1 Omae Aho Ka

• Car:180SX

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

Right so I'm looking to purchase a new diff and get rid of the viscous.

Problem is, KAAZ has come back to me asking if my shafts have either 29 or 30 teeth.
I've done my research and nothing's confirmed.

Apparently from 1997 onwards, R200 diffs had 30 teeth driveshafts and prior to that, 29 teeth.

My questions...
How many teeth does the R200 ABS diff in my 180 have?
Would it make a difference if the 180 was a 97 model? (eg: 1997 180sx = 30 teeth / 1996 180sx = 29 teeth)

Only asking because I cannot pull it apart myself. I'm not looking to DIY this and will get a workshop to install the diff for me when the time comes.
Can anybody please confirm? :)

Cheers

#2 Clinterus

• Car:S14A

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

take it to a workshop and get them to crack her open have a look see. thats my advice if your unsure and dont get a correct response through this thread

#3 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

Buy my nismo prott. Comes all assembled, 4.1 ratio in a r33 housing with the r33 driveshafts included

#4 dysonest

• Car:CAJ37

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

R33 / S14 have 29 teeth
R34 / S15 have 30 teeth
so goin off what years they came out u could have a close guess but its still a guess....
either get it to a shop for a look or buy blingy's diff

#5 Omae Aho Ka

• Car:180SX

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for the response guys :)
I don't like guessing myself but just for argument's sake, if I or somebody made a wrong guess and it turns out that the diff had more/less teeth, the simple solution would be to get half-shafts that would fit, would it not?

Lastly, all late-model (post 1991/2) S chassis and R chassis (non-GTR) had R200 diffs. Am I right?

#6 Clinterus

• Car:S14A

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

also have to consider the stub axle bolt pattern, some are 5 bolt some are 3x6. would be easier to go to shop and find out or do it yourself, that way you cant go wrong, will save money, time and less hassle.
i found that the Helical LSD from a s15 is the 3x6 bolt pattern but had too many teeth (maybe had 32, NFI really) to fit into my r200 viscous lsd centre from a 180sx. r180 open diff stub axles where 27 teeth im pretty sure and sat loose in the r200 centre. also r180 gears dont fit onto r200 centres just to let you know :)

there are a few variants between diffs as i found out the hard way -__- and not all parts are easy to come by, especially if your after JUST the stub axles, some people may not want to separate parts if they have the entire diff there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!