Best finish for Polished Lips on wheels? Polished, powdercoated or chrome? 

5 replies to this topic

#1 cody Casale

• Car:1990 silvia ca18det

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

I have a set of Super Advan SA3's like these:

Posted Image

I have them all apart, with the bolts removed. The original finish was just a clear paint/powdercoat on top of the aluminum.
I stripped the old clearcoat off and sanded one of the lips up to 2000 grit and polshed it. But I am worried that when they are exposed to the weather they will oxidize and but very difficult to repolish again around all of the bolts.

I thought about sanding them to 400 grit to a "brushed" look, and having my powdercoater do them in clear, but I don't really like the brushed finish on the lips.
Also, I thought about having the polished aluminum wheel powdercoated- but I am afraid that the clear would be prone to easily chipping or cracking off since there is not much adhesion.

Lastly I thought about just having them chrome dipped, which I guess is expensive but would give a more durable finish?

any suggestions?

#2 slidin180

• Car:180sx

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

If you going to clear coat it, por15 make a special clear for aluminium and maybe other metals, it adheres to the ally better than 2pak so will be less likely to chip or peel

Hope that kelps

#3 cody Casale

• Car:1990 silvia ca18det

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:18 AM

hmm thanks for your suggestion, is this special clear normally sprayed when the wheels are polished as well?

#4 pmod

• Car:180sx, 4G Prelude

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

It was my understanding that leaving a polished lip plain metal was best. Any damage to the lip can be ground back and repolished to a consistent finish.
Try this with a clear and you'll have to strip it all back.
Touching up the polish can be done fairly quickly with a polishing pad for an angle grinder.

Edited by pmod, 24 February 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#5 1200ute

• Car:Datsun 1200 ute

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

These are the POR15 products as suggested by slidin180. http://www.por15.com...ductinfo/GPCGG/ http://www.por15.com...oductinfo/AP20/
They say they are suitable for polished metals including aluminium wheels.

Edited by 1200ute, 24 February 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#6 slidin180

• Car:180sx

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

Yeah polished aluminium looks sweet, if you polish it and don't clear it, it stains easier from brake dust and water etc and you will have to redo it over and over.
If you clear it you can give them a clean and they will look like new again, just stay away from the gutters

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

dfp

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!