Why to invest in quality straps 

17 replies to this topic

#1 Big Mitch

• Car:JDM S47

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

This is why you should invest in quality straps or a decent tie down system.

Posted Image

Thankfully it happened at the bottom of my street and just took the car off and drove it home. And luckily no damage.

#2 STR8E180

• Car:GTR R34 V-SPEC

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

Ive heard stories at jamboree where people are towing their race cars and while they are driving they see the car that they were towing over taking them lol

#3 Suspop

• Car:S15 / Megane RS 250

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

What was it laying on, sump

#4 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

whoa! did you tie it down with those skinny little motorbike straps?

#5 Big Mitch

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

It went over, and hit the spare tire on the trailer, was resting on the cross member/sump/sway bar.

I had two straps holding it from going back, and one from going forward, as I only got my new trailer yesterday I don't have the proper tie down points etc set up yet and just took it around the corner to get an alignment done. Just looked at the straps and they're 'good' for 780kg apparently. f**k that shit. Going out tomorrow to get some chain and U shackles for each corner and two 2500kg ratchet straps to stop it moving around too much.

I would rather the car come off and hit my car as it's insured than it fall off the back and run into some other person which I wouldn't have insurance for.

Lesson learned.

#6 MidnightMods

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

780kg and you tie down a 1500kg car?

always use 4x the weight of the car in a cross strap action.

#7 2gceffy

• Car:rb25det uras cefiro

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

Was it not in gear with handbrake on ? I normally tie down with them off so u can pull opposite to take the movement out n re-apply

#8 Big Mitch

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

Definitely doesn't weigh 1500kg.

Old trailer I used to sit the front wheels on the front as it was a smaller trailer, and strap it down, never had a problem. It's just because this new trailer is about 6foot longer and 2 foot wider, I had it sitting in the centre so the load was even. But didn't exactly think straight as I wasn't going too far.

Was in gear, was still in gear when I checked after it coming off as well.

#9 Guest_-SR NRG-_*

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:04 AM

wrap around rear subframe hoops, across, when you tighten it compresses the suspension to this will, stop it from bouncing and holds it back well.
if your short on straps always put atleast 2 on the back 1 on the front.
the front chuck through the tow hooks hanging off the rails.

#10 Mandi

• Car:180 & S14a

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

Fuuuu! So lucky that didn't end worse, thanks for sharing though, a good reminder to others to double check their trailer loads :)

#11 kriss

• Car:A31 - R31 - R33

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:39 AM

So did the straps actually break or did you put them on wrong?

#12 slider rx7

• Car:S1 S14 SR20

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:44 AM

View Post-SR NRG-, on 22 February 2012 - 05:04 AM, said:

wrap around rear subframe hoops, across, when you tighten it compresses the suspension to this will, stop it from bouncing and holds it back well.
if your short on straps always put atleast 2 on the back 1 on the front.
the front chuck through the tow hooks hanging off the rails.
wrong, 101 of tieing down a car never limit the suspension travel, if you go over a bump the suspension compress and the tie down becomes loose, if you are using chains in this manner the shock load on the chain can be enough to break it

go around the back of each wheel and across the front then to a tie down point

I always use a 2500kg strap on each corner and have never had a car move

#13 Dori31

• Car:R31, R31, R33

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

Get four 1000kg straps and learn to tie a car down correctly and you will never have a problem

Check my threads, i asked how to tie down a car a while ago

Ive done r31 and r33's with this method on all diferent types of rental trailrrs and never had a problem

#14 EastCoastCustoms

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:42 AM

holy shit mitch

your just catch a break can you mate?

#15 Jarryd F

• Car:S13 SIlvia SR20DET

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

Woops. I'm just usually too lazy and tow with just the handbrake and gearbox in 1st and 2 tiny motorbike straps.

#16 Suspop

• Car:S15 / Megane RS 250

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

Damn, well lol at using that to strap it

#17 -LCD-

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

Yeh jarryd how many cars and how far do you think we have towed with cars just in gear and the winch cable at the front? Haha. Probanly 30kms and on the fwy with the beema, 1650kg and the gear box in park hb on and winch cable.

But yeh its always nicer/ more comforting when you have proper tie downs.

-dan

#18 mitch_32

• Car:S13 - VE SS Ute

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

Guys I do this sort of thing for a living and the basic tie down rules we use are:

80% forward
50% reward
20% left and right

Those percentages are for the weight of the car, so if your car weighs 1000kg then you need a minimum 800kg strap at the rear to stop it moving forward (or 2 400kg straps/chains etc). You can cheat when including the sideways movement by adding the perecentages together and crossing your straps over.

Again using the 1000kg car as the example: at the rear with straps crossed over you would need at a MINIMUM 2x 600kg straps to hold it from moving forward and side to side.

When calculating the side to side movement for inclusion with forwards or rearwards movement you need to remember that 20% is only for a single side, not both. So with your 1000kg car it will require 200kg extra per side to stop sideways movement.

Hopefully that makes sense to people but with most of our cars weighing around the 1000-1500kg mark you can't go wrong with 1000kg straps/chains etc.

Of course if you tie it down on the wrong angle or tie down point then none of this will save your car....

Edit: I went into some much greater detail on a similar thread on SAU and had any number of people claim that this math is wrong and it doesn't allow for the G-force experienced in a crash. Well I can tell you from experience that if your car and trailer has proper tie down points and you use the right gear then you stand a pretty good chance of keeping it on the trailer in small accidents, however SMALL accidents is all that this can save you from. These formulas are not designed to keep your car strapped to your trailer as it plummets down a cliff. They are designed to eliminate load shift during normal driving and not much past that.

To assume that in an accident there is no weak link is insane, something can and will give, it might be the straps, might be the car, might be the trailer but you can hardly ever plan to survive an accident.

Edited by mitch_32, 27 February 2012 - 06:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

dfp

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!