It's time to say THANKS! Are you a devoted NS/HT Member? If so click here for something special

tips for getting gearbox onto sr20 (out of engine) 

22 replies to this topic

#1 DR1FT HAVEN

• Car:s15-80 s14sr20DET

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:09 PM

ok thanks all for helping me with the knock sensor and turbo lines, now thats all sweet i cant get the friggen gbox to mate onto the spline of the clutch... got em about level, got it partly into the hole but either the teeth aren't lining up or its' bloody tight, any tips??? just beat the back of the box with a mallet or wat? can't quite reach the bolts into the thread to try n pull the two pieces together.... what a bastard!

#2 Noobles

• Car:RPS13 180SX S2

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:16 PM

Is the clutch aligned properly?, you can feel on the edges to see whether the clutch plate is a bit to one side or to high etc..
Put some grease on the spline of the box and clutch plate.
I found it easy to do it the engine on a slight angle and someone holding the engine from rocking while you trying to slide the box on.

#3 Dori31

• Car:R31, R31, R33

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:37 PM

yeh the clutch plates may of slipped while you were bolting on the clutch or moved when you where trying to attach the trannie to the engine
use an old drive shaft or a clutch alignment tool and see if it slides in past the clutch all flush
if its hard or cant get it in, loosen the clutch housing bolts until you can fit the alignment tool or shaft in... then tighten the bolts up evenly (same way you would bolt a head to the block) with the shaft in and make sure to constantly check the looseness of the shaft or alignment tool as you tighten the clutch housing bolts
then the transmission's shaft should slide on easily with some grease

gl :thumbsup:

wouldnt recommend beating it with a hammer cause if you f the teeth on the crank... then theres a new mam headache :yes:

#4 Hawker180

• Car:180sx + Landcruiser

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:44 PM

i think SR you turn the gearbox almost upside down....providing the clutch is aligned as they said above

#5 DR1FT HAVEN

• Car:s15-80 s14sr20DET

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:50 PM

hmm dont have either a clutch aligning tool or an old spline handy, might be able to grab one from work tommorow.... didn't think to try grease as i didnt wanna get it on the clutch friction plate, but ill give it a crack... yea good idea about loosening the clutch bolts to allow the friction plate to shift into place if need be, it'll be bloody tight to get those bolts tight once the box is gripped on the spline tho as the clutch asembly sits inside the bell housing, there will be s.f.a room to get in there without pulling the gbox back off the spline again...

#6 Dori31

• Car:R31, R31, R33

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:56 PM

thats why you use an old spline or alignment tool first
before gbox is anywhere near the engine...
loosen clutch housing bolts
put in old spline (make sure it goes all the way in, so past the friction plate and into the crank end and FLUSH)
tighten bolts evenly
check to see if old spline still moves in and out freely (if not loosen bolts again and repeat above steps until right)
then remove old spline
(the friction plate and crank end is now aligned perfectly in theory)
tad of grease on gbox spline and inside the crank end
then BAM gearbox should slide in :D

#7 DVS JEZ

• Car:R32 GTR

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

lube :thumbsup:
go to repco or similar and get a clutch aligning tool. will make life easy. lucky your doing it out of the car, otherwise your arms would be getting sore from trying to get it together

#8 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:22 PM

yeah don't grease up the spline OR the spigot.
the spigot needs a touch of oil and just clean up the input shaft spline with a wire brush.

but more than likely the clutch isn't aligned right.

#9 kingkevi

• Car:Cressy

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

What to use if you do not have an old driveshaft (spline) or clutch alignment tool?
Someone suggested a broomstick? lol...

#10 Pointless dribbler

• Car:94 180sx

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

yeah broomstick and wrap it in electrical tape to get a sweet fit in the friction plate. i've used this method heaps and works fine.

#11 Guest_-SR NRG-_*

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

if you dont have a dummy chaft you can use a 1/2 socket extension

#12 woznoz

• Car:datsun sunny 1979

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

View PostNoobles, on 18 October 2009 - 05:16 PM, said:

Is the clutch aligned properly?, you can feel on the edges to see whether the clutch plate is a bit to one side or to high etc..
Put some grease on the spline of the box and clutch plate.
I found it easy to do it the engine on a slight angle and someone holding the engine from rocking while you trying to slide the box on.

you NEVER put greese anywhere near a clutch, it will heat and melt, and act just like oil on a clutch, it will wear it quicker and cause slip, ONLY use graphite powder, i know it sounds dumb but its the correct way just a shame not many people know about it. And where the throw out bearing slide no oil, no greese, only graphite powder!!!!!

Edited by woznoz, 09 February 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#13 Pointless dribbler

• Car:94 180sx

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

Dunno mate, i work on heavy vehicles that have grease nipples on the bell housing for greasing the throwout bearings/ input shaft and clutch fork shafts, also luc kits come with shaft grease, go figure. I see where youre coming from though.

#14 woznoz

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Ive been a mechanic for 7-8 years and always put greese where the throw out bearing slides, then i started getting my clutch's from jim berry in brisbane which he is very well known on this site for great performance clutch's, his about 60years old id guess and been in clutch industry his whole life and when i took my clutch to him he said you put greese on this didnt you, i was like yea why? then he slapped me on my hand lol "how embarrasing btw" then he explained why never do it and why to use graphite powder, since that day i never used greese never a clutch.

#15 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

^^ you didn't cake it on did you?

throwout bearing and clutch fork you can grease, but not the input shaft.

and if it is a full faced clutch you can feel around the 3 holes in the edge of the pressure plate to centre it. 90% of the time it works every time

Edited by blingcommander, 09 February 2012 - 07:25 PM.

#16 woznoz

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

View Postblingcommander, on 09 February 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

^^ you didn't cake it on did you?

and if it is a full faced clutch you can feel around the 3 holes in the edge of the pressure plate to centre it. 90% of the time it works every time

this is how i always do it, never had a problem,

#17 Datsun240z

• Car:240z

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

Big phillips head, half tighten, adjust by eye, tighten. Has worked for me every time I haven't had a alignment tool.

#18 mikk

• Car:1990 180SX

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:55 AM

broom handle or common sense by finger/eye

#19 Guest_-SR NRG-_*

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

a screw driver is to small and a broom handle is to big a 1/2" extension bar is just the right size to go into the spigot bearing and you wrap it in tape around the area where the slutch plate sline is this way you can be assured that its all allgined together with the spigot, it really isnt that hard there is no need to do it half assed by eye when you have the right tools sitting in your tool box anyway.

Edited by -SR NRG-, 12 February 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#20 kingkevi

• Car:Cressy

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:47 AM

Thanks guys really helpful info, I appreciate it :thumb:

#21 sssturbo

• Car:S14 200sx

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:11 AM

pretty much what everyone has said, also put the gearbox in gear, slip the tailshaft into the back of the box, sometimes you need to turn the input shaft as the splines may not line up

#22 tezwa

• Car:180sx

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

Is your downpipe unbolted from the rest of the cat back? If not, do yourself a favour and disconnect the exhaust and the intake pipe at the throttle body so you can tilt the engine back a bit. Use a big pole if you got aftermarket engine mounts.

#23 8Nick8

• Car:S14 Zenki

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

+1 for aligning the clutch by eye and by feeling the edges of clutch plate, never had a problem.

do NOT use a hammer, you will break shitz,

if you want to know if your clutch is on the splines or not, put your box into gear and turn the crank see if your output shaft moves. if it does you just need to wiggle it in, if you can get bolts started do them up evenly to pull it in.... but if it gets tight never force it.

also just because i've done it before.... make sure you put the sandwich plate on before installing the gearbox... sucks when you gotta pull it back out again haha.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!